- The Phoenix Oyster mushrooms grow in clusters of 5 or 6 mushrooms (more like 20+ with our awesome production process!), and we grow these year-round indoors.
- The flesh is smooth, thick and white, the texture is silken and tender, and its taste is mild and faintly sweet.
- Phoenix Oyster mushrooms scientific name is Pleurotus pulmonarius, and they grow in forests on dead wood, often quickly decomposing the wood they are growing on.
- They tend to prefer conifer trees, and do well growing on firs, spruce, poplar, oak, maple, elm and aspen trees, but can also be cultivated from spores in mediums like straw, hay, sawdust and coffee grounds.
- At Ohau Gourmet Mushrooms we grow on organic Pine pellets and feed them soy hull pellets as nutrition.
- Oyster mushrooms contain high amounts of amino acids such as thiamin, riboflavin, folic acid, sterols, and carotenoids. They contain high levels of vitamin C, potassium and iron.
- Oyster mushrooms are primarily made up of protein and complex carbohydrates and are one of the best sources of ergothioneine, a unique antioxidant found only in fungi.
- Ergothioneine has been shown to help fight chronic inflammation and may prevent the build-up of plaque in the arteries, which leads to cardiovascular disease.
- Oyster mushrooms help to boost the immune system and may have medicinal uses for reducing pain sensitivity.
How to use
- Phoenix tail oyster mushrooms pair well with fish, chicken, lamb and pork, and may be used in soups, pasta, risotto, casseroles, stir-frys, tarts/pies, terrines, slow cooks and more.
- Or simply sauté them in garlic and butter and enjoy them on their own with some quality bread. This variety only needs 5-8 minutes of cooking time.
- These mushrooms will keep for up to a week if stored in a paper bag in the refrigerator. Even if they dry out a little, they will bounce back when cooked!
Ohau Gourmet Mushrooms grow facts:
- We grow our delicious mushrooms indoors in hanging bags on Oak hardwood, the mushrooms natural habitat, using Soy as nutrition
- Locally produced on the Kapiti Coast
- We use organic materials, so no inorganic chemicals or pesticides are used in the production
- Mushrooms are naturally very sustainable to produce. They require very little water or energy.
- We use our harvested grow bags as mushroom compost for our vegetable patch.
Oyster Mushroom Nutritional information
Calories 28 Kcal. Calories from Fat 3.15 Kcal.
|Total Fat (lipid)||0.35 g||1.00%|
|Total dietary Fiber||2 g||5.26%|
|Total Sugars||0.95 g||N/D|
|Glucose (dextrose)||0.95 g||N/D|
|Calcium, Ca||3 mg||0.30%|
|Iron, Fe||1.14 mg||14.25%|
|Magnesium, Mg||15 mg||3.57%|
|Phosphorus, P||103 mg||14.71%|
|Potassium, K||361 mg||7.68%|
|Sodium, Na||15 mg||1.00%|
|Zinc, Zn||0.66 mg||6.00%|
|Copper, Cu||0.21 mg||23.33%|
|Manganese, Mn||0.097 mg||4.22%|
|Selenium, Se||2.2 µg||4.00%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)||0.108 mg||9.00%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.3 mg||23.08%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||4.262 mg||26.64%|
|Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)||1.113 mg||22.26%|
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)||0.095 mg||7.31%|
|Vitamin B9 (Folate)||33 µg||8.25%|
|Folic Acid||0 µg||N/D|
|Folate, food||33 µg||N/D|
|Folate, DEF||33 µg||N/D|
|Vitamin A, RAE||2 µg||0.29%|
|Vitamin A, IU||41 IU||N/D|
|Beta Carotene||25 µg||N/D|
|Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)||25 µg||166.67%|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)||0.6 µg||N/D|
|Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol)||0.6 µg||N/D|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||0.053 g||N/D|
|Palmitic acid 16:00 (Hexadecanoic acid)||0.053 g||N/D|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||0.027 g||N/D|
|Oleic acid 18:1 (octadecenoic acid)||0.027 g||N/D|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||0.106 g||N/D|
|Linoleic acid 18:2 (octadecadienoic acid)||0.106 g||N/D|
|Amino acids||Amount||% DV|
|Aspartic acid||0.254 g||N/D|
|Glutamic acid||0.544 g||N/D|
*Above mentioned Percent Daily Values (%DVs) are based on 2,000 calorie diet intake. Daily values (DVs) may be different depending upon your daily calorie needs. Mentioned values are recommended by a U.S. Department of Agriculture. They are not healthbenefitstimes.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average age of 19 to 50 years and weighs 194 lbs.