Oyster Mushroom may benefit heart health
Oyster mushrooms may promote heart health by reducing heart disease risk factors like high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Oyster mushrooms (P. ostreatus) is especially high in several compounds that benefit heart health, including fibers called beta-glucans (Source).
- Beta-glucans are fermented by gut bacteria to produce short-chain fatty acids that can help reduce cholesterol production in your body. Interestingly, P. ostreatus provides twice as many beta-glucans as white button mushrooms (A. bisporus) (Source).
- A small 2011 randomized control trial in 20 people found that eating a soup containing 30 grams of dried P. ostreatus for 21 days decreased triglycerides, total cholesterol, and oxidized LDL (bad) cholesterol levels compared with placebo treatment (Source).
- A 2020 review of eight human studies found that P. ostreatus intake helped lower blood sugar, triglycerides, blood pressure, and insulin levels, all of which could decrease heart disease risk. However, the authors acknowledged that future well-designed studies are needed to better understand how P. ostreatus intake may improve heart health (Source).
- This natural cholesterol-reducing effect is similar to lovastatin, (a synthesized drug that treats patients with excessive blood cholesterol). These mushrooms have been widely studied for their effect on modulating blood cholesterol levels and evidence shows that Oyster Mushrooms have the ability to reduce triglycerides and LDL cholesterol.
- It has also been found that Oyster Mushrooms contain ergothioneine, a lesser-known antioxidant amino acid that protects the cells of the body, reducing triglycerides which can cause cardiovascular disease.
- The rich nutrient content of these Oyster mushrooms can also have the effect of reducing high blood pressure – another precursor to heart disease and damage to the coronary arteries.
Mushrooms offer heart health fibres. Common mushroom varieties offer significant amounts of heart-healthy fibres, say researchers investigating the carbohydrate content of mushrooms for the first time. HTTPS://WWW.NUTRAINGREDIENTS.COM/ARTICLE/2005/02/15/MUSHROOMS-OFFER-HEART-HEALTH-FIBRES