- 200g fresh oyster mushrooms
- 30g butter
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 50ml cream (optional)
- Handful parsley, spinach or spring onion, roughly chopped
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Ricotta (optional)
- Sliced good quality bread
- Melt the butter in a heavy based fry pan. Add garlic and cook until soft.
- Tear the mushrooms into strips (can discard stem or cut into smaller pieces and use) and add mushrooms to pan and cook until soft.
- Add cream if using, and turn down heat.
- Add parsley (or spinach or spring onion) and squeeze of lemon.
- Spread toast or fresh bread with butter or ricotta, pile on the mushrooms and add pepper and salt to taste.
- Variation: Add dash of Tamari and sesame oil in place of cream and lemon
TIP: use a mister bottle with water to spray the mushrooms as soon as you put them in the pan. This will stop too much oil being being absorbed as mushrooms are deceptively absorbent. It will also make them soft, plump and juicy.