Mushrooms are at the centre of the vegan revolution. Why? Because they contain a nutritional profile similar to meat but in a plant-based meal. Mushrooms are the ultimate meat alternative.
- Protein: They contain many “essential” amino acids that you just can’t get from plant-based proteins. This is why they are at the forefront of research into emerging/alternative proteins.
- Vitamins: Contain healthy doses of the Vitamin B group including B12 (shiitake), and for vegans one of the only sources of dietary vitamin D.
- Minerals: Depending on the variety, mushrooms also have several minerals that may be difficult to obtain from a vegan diet — such as selenium, potassium, copper, iron, and phosphorus
- Flavour: In a word umami. They add solid flavours to every meal.
- Texture: We describe the Pink oyster mushroom as being playful in the kitchen. With this, you can add a crispy crunch or a meaty chew.